Sanfilippo Children’s Foundation Supplementary Scholarship
No closing date
|Payment per year||
$5,000 per annum
PhD: up to three years. Masters by Research: up to two years.
Australian Permanent Residents
New Zealand Citizens
Permanent Humanitarian Visa Holders
|Type of Scholarship||
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
Rural Regional and Remote Areas
Students with Disabilities
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
Faculty of Sciences
Applications are invited for the following supplementary scholarship for students enrolled in a research degree in the Faculty of Health Sciences or Science at the University of Adelaide.
The scholarship is supported by the Sanfilippo Children’s Foundation: https://www.sanfilippo.org.au/
Proposed research projects must be relevant to the Foundation’s vision of finding a cure in time for children battling Sanfilippo syndrome (Mucopolysaccharidosis III) today, and those born with it tomorrow.
Sanfilippo syndrome is a rare genetic disorder affecting children. It is a lysosomal storage disorder and is a type of mucopolysaccharidosis (Mucopolysaccharidosis type III - MPS III). Sanfilippo affects mostly the brain and is one of a group of conditions called 'childhood dementia'. As the brain gets progressively damaged, children experience severe hyperactivity, disordered sleep, loss of speech, intellectual disability, cardiac issues, seizures, loss of mobility, and finally death, usually before adulthood.
The Sanfilippo Children’s Foundation is particularly interested in three focus areas:
• halt disease progression through therapies such as enzyme replacement, gene therapy and cell therapy and strategies to enhance the effectiveness of such emerging therapies
• repair and reverse the cell damage caused by Sanfilippo which could include the application of neuroregeneration advances made for other neuro-degenerative diseases
• improve quality of life through palliative care and symptom management specific to Sanfilippo Syndrome
Eligibility: Applicants must have been accepted as candidates for a PhD or Masters by Research at the University of Adelaide and have been awarded a major scholarship (e.g. RTPS, University of Adelaide Divisional Scholarship or equivalent).
Stipend: The scholarship will be for up to 3 years and has a stipend of $5000 per annum. It is likely to be tax exempt, subject to Taxation Office approval.
Enquiries: Dr Kristina Elvidge, Research & Grants Manager, Sanfilippo Children’s Foundation firstname.lastname@example.org
Applying: Please email the following to Dr Kristina Elvidge, Research & Grants Manager email@example.com with “Application for Sanfilippo Children’s Foundation PhD Scholarship” in the subject heading:
1) a copy of your research proposal; and
2) evidence of one of the following - your enrolment or confirmation of your application for admission.